Wednesday, April 25, 2012

The POLES are in my head!

I'm about to be part of a really exciting public art initiative on Gabriola Island- painting selected hydro poles, yes we're bringing colour to the streets.  I was ecstatic to be one of the artists selected by the Gabriola Arts Council to participate in this project, and even better yet is the company I'm in- Melinda Wilde, Derrill Shuttleworth and Clint McC.
So now the fun begins, as i drive/walk/cycle around my neighbourhood all I can think about is the hydro poles.  The plan (as I know it) is that we will paint 3-4 poles in a distinct way that represents our neighbourhood. We may be using fish in my area (tyee, coho, blueback are just a few names of the local roads), so tonight I thought I'd just have fun doing up a few sketches and mock designs.
I'm not sure how they'll go over, but they are just ideas at this point and the Island meeting is on monday night and is open to all.  If you have any suggestions, comments, ideas please throw them at me.  In the meantime, I'm having fun imagining the possibilities.
And I won't even tell you what my comrades are planning for the group piece this saturday by the post office, you'll want to check it out as we kick off the "festival of the arts".

2 comments:

  1. I adore your colors! And your design!
    What a great idea to decorate hydro poles. Making the neighborhoods more colorful. Art (and colors) make people happy, is my philosophy. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love these ideas for poles! can't wait to see them all over the island! yay!! gorgeous designs!!

    ReplyDelete